Museum and Library hours:
Valley Heritage Museum is located on the corner of Lock Street and East
Seventh Avenue in Tarentum.
The limestone Art Deco structure, designed by Pittsburgh architect Press Dowler (1877-1964), was built in 1931 as American Legion Post 85.
The building was extensively improved in honor of the WWII veterans in 1946-47. Murals depicting the homefront during the war were painted in the entrance hall. The 20-foot-high main ballroom walls were completely covered with blue cobalt glass mirrors and art glass donated by Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. Art deco aluminum from Alcoa was used on railings, door handles, and other applications.
|The Historical Society|
|Today it houses a resource library and collections of artifacts of local significance. It is operated by the Allegheny-Kiski Valley Historical Society, a local non-profit, volunteer organization.|